In honor of National Foster Care month, we wanted to share a list of books and workbooks for youth in foster care or in adopted families. Books are a wonderful way for children to explore other people’s life experiences, while at the same time seeing their own stories represented and know they are not alone in their feelings.
Some of the books on our list can also be good conversation starters between caregivers and their children, opening the door to learning more about each other and supporting the youth through their journey.
For Ages 3-8:
- Murphy’s Three Homes: A Story for Children in Foster Care by Jan Levinson Gilman and Kathy O’Malley
- Zachary’s New Home: A story for Foster and Adopted Children by Geraldine M. Blomquist and Paul B. Blomquist
- Welcome Home, Forever Child: A Celebration of Children Adopted as Toddlers, Preschoolers, and Beyond by Christine Mitchell
- Hootah’s Baby by Joanne Green
- Family Day: Celebrating Ethan’s Adoption Anniversary by Christine Mitchell
- A Family Is a Family Is a Family by Sara O’Leary
- Maybe Days: A Book for Children in Foster Care
For Ages 4-10:
- Kids Need to Be Safe: A Book for Children in Foster Care by Geraldine M. Blomquist and Paul B. Blomquist
- A Different Home: A New Foster Child’s Story by Geraldine M. Blomquist and Paul B. Blomquist
- Sometimes…A Story of Transition For Foster and Adopted Children by Keri Vellis
- When I was Little…A Child’s Journey in Overcoming Abuse + Trauma by Keri Vellis
- Families Change: A Book for Children Experiencing Termination of Parental Rights by Julie Nelson
- Robbie’s Trail Through Foster Care by Adam Robe
- Finding the Right Spot: When Kids Can’t Live With Their Parents by Regina M. Kupecky and Christine Mitchell
Nexus Family Healing is a national nonprofit mental health organization that restores hope for thousands of children and families who come to us for outpatient/community mental health services, foster care and adoption, and residential treatment. For over 50 years, our network of agencies has used innovative, personalized approaches to heal trauma, break cycles of harm, and reshape futures. We believe every child is worth it — and every family matters. Learn more at nexusfamilyhealing.org.